Canning Milk In Your Kitchen

I have noticed lately how surprised many people are (and they tell me so) when I talk about canning different food items. Most of the questions and astonishment comes by private messages or emails with the writer starting out with something like “I didn’t want to ask out in the open because …” This makes me sort of sad. Let me tell you why.

In the age of promoting women to get out of the house, go to work, have a career, raise your kids, be busy to the point you can’t breath and feel like you are going to fly off the earth, buy it pre-made, prepackaged, preprocessed we have let ourselves become uneducated in the home arts. Keeping a home and providing meals should not be drudgery and slugged through as if walking through mud. There is an art and a science to keeping your home and providing materially with comforts and food. It is knowledge that has been lost to so many.

I always find myself ‘surprised’ if not shocked when I am told by people they don’t know how to clean something or they have no clue how to prepare something. Even when I go to the store and purchase several cases of canning jars the reaction throughout the store by employees and other shoppers is eye opening to say the least. I love sharing my knowledge with others but I find most often many people think it is far too complicated to be able to preserve food in a canning jar.

I don’t know how to say this without stepping on toes as I know some of my readers are not as like minded as I am but I have this need to put this out there for the world so here goes:

I am a Christian. I am a fundamentalist. I am conservative. My faith is deep and has always been a part of my life for as along as I can remember. I don’t have to question it but I could if I wanted to and I know where to find my answers. I know I can trust in it for it has never failed me. I have faith ever-so-much more than a mustard seed.

Over the last few years I have been inspired and convicted by a passage in the Bible. It is God’s portrait of a woman. A beautiful woman. I want to be this woman. I fail daily but I keep trying. Though I may never succeed I do my best to be her. I am copying the verses here for you to read in full context.

King James Bible 1611

Proverbs 31

10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.

11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.

12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.

13 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.

14 She is like the merchants’ ships; she bringeth her food from afar.

15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.

16 She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.

17 She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.

18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.

19 She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.

20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.

21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.

22 She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.

23 Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.

24 She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.

25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.

28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.

29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.

30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.

31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

A very hard standard to try and live up to, isn’t it?

When I am in my kitchen and garden these words are always whispering to me:

She is like the merchants’ ships; she bringeth her food from afar. She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens. She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard. She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.

It is a commandment to be wise with the food stores we are provided with. Make use of and be wise in sowing and harvesting and preserving. Don’t waste. Be diligent. Share your bounty with your family and with others who are less fortunate.

So when people ask me why I can so much I typically answer that I can seasonal foods for times when they are not available fresh locally. It’s how we eat in the winter months. Most have stopped listening when I say I feel convicted to make use of what is provided to be stored away for later not just for us but others who might be in need.

When I updated my status on Facebook last night to say I was canning milk the messages and emails flooded in with questions asking why or how and nearly everyone said, “I did not know you could can milk”.

We have lost out knowledge and skills in home arts. With a few simple pieces of equipment we can safely can and preserve almost everything in our kitchen and not have to rely on electricity to keep a freezer and a refrigerator cold to preserve our foods. With a little effort they can sit in the pantry and need no special care right up to the time we take them down to use them.

When it comes to highly perishable food items like dairy products we don’t have much we can do to keep to keep them for extended periods of time. Milk can be made into cheese and cultured in to sour cream, buttermilk, yogurt and the like but even those things have a very limited shelf life. You can freeze milk but it does separate and sometimes will be a little chunky when it thaws where the milk solids are broken down. You can freeze blocks of cheese but when you thaw them it breaks down into curds. Yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese and the like loose their creamy texture when frozen. It can be done but just isn’t always the result we want or expect.

I believe in the value of raw milk. My kids drink no other milk. It is fresh from jersey cows and our dairy goats. When it is heated the good properties are lost. I know this and I stress this. However, there is no way to make cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, clam chowder, cream of broccoli, cream of tomato, cream of any number of things without cooking the milk. This is a given.

During times of the year when dairy animals are in milk we often find ourselves ‘drowning’ in milk. Milk is everywhere. You can’t drink enough, cook with it enough, make enough dairy products or breads to keep up with the production. In most states you can’t even give it away based on the laws governing dairy products and consumers. Other animals are usually happy to get their share of the milk but without a pig or three you will still find yourself drowning with an over flow of milk.

What to do?

Preserve it for use later. (See note at bottom of this post)*

If you have a pressure canner, sterile jars and a little time you can preserve that milk. It cooks in the jars and has a stable shelf life. You can use it later as the base for soups, gravy, baking and what not. It won’t be good to serve cold with cereal but it will be fabulous in other cooking needs. It is recommended that when cooking with milk that has been pressure canned that the contents boil for a minimum of 15 minutes in a cooking process.

This past week a friend shared with me some half and half she had in her freezer. 30 quarts I believe is what she had stored. She needed room in her freezer for other things as well as she had fresh milk in her fridge to make cheese with in equally large portions. So, what to do with it? When it freezes it separates. So, it wouldn’t be great for cheese making or pouring over your cereal or into your coffee. We decided to can it to use later when milk is lacking in the dry season.

I sent all the jars and utensils through the dishwasher on the sterilize cycle. I filled the pressure canner with appropriate amount of water and set it to simmer.

You can only can milk using a pressure canner. Do NOT ever attempt to preserve low acid foods (milk, meat, vegetables, etc) in a water bath canner. You cannot get those foods hot enough to kill the bacteria spores that are common in the air and on every surface around us to kill the bacteria that causes botulism – food poisoning. It can be fatal. There is much controversy surrounding the home canning of milk. There are many instructions to be found for a WB process but that frightens me to the very core. I would never eat anything with a waterbath canned milk. NEVER.

ONLY use a PRESSURE canner to can milk like you see here in these photos.

Start with clean, sterile jars and equipment. I run everything through the dishwasher. I start water simmering in my canner. I put my jars in the canner and keep them hot until I need to fill them.

Fill the jars one at a time with the milk leaving one inch head space. Apply hot lids and rings.

Return each jar to the canner to keep hot while you work. And soon all your jars will be filled and ready to process.

Put the lid on the canner and allow the steam to vent freely for a full 10 minutes.

Apply the weighted pressure regulator and being the pressure up to 10lbs and process for 25 minutes.

Once the pressure has reduced and the canner is opened move the jars to a thick layer of toweling too cool. You will hear the ping of the lids as they seal. If your lids do not seal, replace them with new ones and process again.

The milk takes on a caramel coloring. It is cooked milk. It is preserved and can sit on your pantry shelf for up to one year. Use as needed in soup bases, sauces, gravy, etc.

It is not hard. You can safely do these things in your own kitchen. Follow the rules of cleanliness, safety and sanitary precautions. Process the food items at the proper levels for the proper length of time. It is safe – more safe than in our grandmother’s day. Don’t be overwhelmed. You don’t have to process 5 bushels of fruit at one time. I work with 7 quarts a time. 7 quart jars fit in my canner.

There is much discord (controversy!) about canning milk at home. The USDA indicates it is unsafe and all directions for processing milk and milk products have been removed from all of their literature. This is something you have to decide for yourself and weigh the pros and cons.

Here is an article from Mother Earth News and one from Razor Family Farms. There are two tidbits here in the Ask Jackie section of BackwoodsHome.

100 Responses to “Canning Milk In Your Kitchen”

• I always learn so much from you. Thank you for another informative post!

• Angie says:

All I try to do is share what I know, Jen! Thanks for the compliment!

• Don says:

Would canning milk or cream in small jars be an acceptable alternative as a coffee creamer, something that can be opened, used, and stored in the refrigerator afterwards?

• Angie says:

It is nothing more than cooked milk, Don. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work on principle (yes, top making sure you put things in the fridge after they are opened) but the taste test would be the real challenge. Next time I’ll do a little jar and have a taste test. I do drink my coffee with creamer. I have a couple coffee mates on hand in the cellar as well as some canned milk (carnation!) just in case.

• Shea says:

I’m going to own my ignorance here for a moment. While I’m very familiar with canning, I had no idea that you could can milk. I didn’t think it was one of those items that would hold up to the process. I come from a farming family where my granddad raised all sorts of produce and animals (cows, pigs, chickens, rabbits) for food and there was all sorts of canning and freezing being done each year, but I never saw this being done. How cool! Thanks for the info.

• Angie says:

I think on farms where something was always in milk it was less likely to be an item that was canned. The novelty and inexpense of little ‘tins’ of milk is most often what many women kept on hand as reserve. I know my grandmother kept a big box of carnation instant milk in her pantry at all times. I can remember being out of milk and her making us a big pitcher of instant milk with a little sugar. I do keep powdered milk and cans of milk in the pantry but those things can get expensive these days. When there is an abundance of free milk (keep work here is free – but with a little effort on my part) it just makes me crazy to see it wasted or for it to go bad. If this were winter I would probably make cream of potato or mushoom or chicken or tomato or celery or broccoli soup and can the extras. This way I have the base for the soup, gravy or sauce and can make smaller meals as needed instead of one giant one.

• Lisa says:

Very interesting post, Angie. I would love to see pics of your cellar or wherever you store all your canned goods sometime. I bet all the jars lined up would look beautiful.

My mom used to can tomatoes, “chili mix” (onions, peppers, tomatoes), salsa, relish, several kinds of pickles, peaches, and beets. She also made strawberry freezer jam (she thinks it tastes better than the water bath kind) and froze tons of veggies out of our garden. She hasn’t done any canning in years, though. I’ve never heard of canning milk, and I would have been afraid of consuming any if I hadn’t read your blog post. We had powdered milk as a “backup” for if Mom ran out when we were kids.

The pressure canner looks like my death waiting to happen; I just know I would screw something up and end up in the hospital over it. πŸ˜‰ I don’t trust myself.

Do you have a good recipe for canned/homemade spaghetti sauce? I am trying to avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup as it isn’t good for me and definitely bad for DH (it can cause inflammation in people with Crohn’s).

• Angie says:

I don’t understand why so many people are afraid of a pressure canner. If you keep it clean and make sure the parts are in good service what is there to be ‘your death” from? I suggest calling your local Extension Agency and see if anyone is giving summer classes on home canning. Someone in their Home Sciences department will teach you how to use the canner. They will tech you proper techniques for sterilizing your utensils and jars. Also how to keep things hot and how to raw pack, etc.

Pressure canning is easy. It is fun. You have to pay attention to what you are doing. You have to practice good cleanliness skills. There is a huge abundance of things you can do yourself with minimal effort. But you won’t or can’t if you don’t even try.

I always tell my kids – Don’t tell me what you can’t do. Show me what you are capable of doing if you try.

I plan to do spaghetti sauce next week. Costco had #10 cans of tomato sauce for $2.50 for I bought a few. LOL

The only thing that can typically go wrong and it rarely happens when pressure canning is the over pressure plug can blow out. When it does the liquid in the canner will spray up and out. So you have a lot of hot water to clean up. The lid won’t blow off the pot. That is what makes movies funny. If you are worried about a lid blowing off buy and All American canner. Those lock down with screw in bolts.

• Heidi says:

Just curious. I know Ball’s Blue Book has a recipe for clam chowder base in it. Have you ever tried canning soups with a milk base before? I’d like for my husband to be able to take a pint of chowder with him to work without having to mix the milk in at work.

Thank you so much for posting how you can your milk. No more sour milk in our house. πŸ™‚

• Angie says:

I have always canned soups milk based and stock based. Remember when you make chowder if you plan to can it don’t cook it through on the stove. Put it in your jars and when you process the jars it will cook the contents of the jar.

• Ashley says:

Where did you get your Pressure canner Angie?

• Angie says:

One came from the hardware store. One came from walmart. One we ordered from Amazon. The one in the photos came from a junk shop. $10!!! I love it the best. If you are looking for a canner I suggest either the presto 16 quart http://www.amazon.com/Presto-16-Quart-Aluminum-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B000QJJ9NY . If your budget is not a big issue the All American will last you a life time and your grandchildren’s. http://www.allamericancanner.com/allamerican915pressurecanner.htm I am saving for the All American.

• viggie says:

Seems awfully disparaging of those that are asking questions and trying to learn. :\ Many of us (especially us singles) can’t help living in that rushed world. I work full time, am required to attend college nights, and am still doing the work a couple/family normally handles around the homestead. I didn’t grow up with this knowledge handed to me either, but I’m trying to pick it up in between my other 4 full time responsibilities. It’s unfair to knock people like me for making the effort πŸ™

• Angie says:

No one is knocking you or people like you. It makes me sad that no one has taken the time to teach you these things you should have learned in your youth. I don’t get into political/religious/financial debates in public and I won’t do it here. What I meant was the feminist movement is really to blame for a lot of the lost education in our generations that are the doers and the teachers of the next generation. Being single and having to provide for yourself and a family is nothing to shake a finger at. I have been there and done that. I raise 2 children after a divorce without any means of child support. I managed to raise them on less than $10K a year and we never went without food or most things we wanted and needed. I also had knowledge taught to me from childhood of how to take care of myself and my dependents by a very basic means. I would not have been able to do that without the skills learned in my childhood.

• the bee says:

Viggie,
    Angie is not at all trying to make us feel bad.I see her lessons as valuable as I learned a lot as a child but grew up in the city. I am now learning, doing and trying to challenge myself a bit more. One thing I know about Angie is that she is our biggest cheerleader even if we are just organizing our homes. I know because I just did that. I will also cheer you on from here.

• Kara says:

Seems we all need a simple reminder that the evaporated milk we buy at the store IS canned milk. ? We are all so used to just going in the store, buying off the shelf and never giving it any thought about where it came from or how it was preserved. Thanks for the refresher course.

• viggie says:

I actually agree with you politically and religiously as far as I can tell. I love the verse and the tie in. I just think there was some making fun of people for asking questions and not having the exact knowledge set ya’ll do. It’s an unfair attitude especially when it’s something as uncommon as canning milk, which I can’t find covered in my canning books or the National Center for Food Preservation website.

• Angie says:

Which is why it is sad to me that so many things of this type are lost. Home Arts and Science has been thrown to the wayside by many and is no longer considered part of a well rounded education. For many of our parents generation they have failed their children in a practical education of providing for hearth and home. Pushing kids through high school and straight to college without even basic cooking skills is what we are seeing now. My daughter is the only 23 year old in her peer group who can put a real home cooked meal on the table without consulting a book, asking for help or needing instruction. I know many who can’t even set a table. To me lack of those skills if sad. it is not a slap at those who don’t know and/or are trying. But those who failed them in giving those skills it is a shame and terrible loss. So many moved off the farm and vowed never to look back. They failed to teach their children and to pass along very basic knowledge and skills.

• joan says:

Well said Angie. I really dislike hearing women say, “I’m just a stay at home mom.” It sounds as if home and children are less important than an outside job or career. What is important is that we women have a choice. I remember watching America’s Castles and one wealthy woman thought managing a home so important that she gave herself a title. If I remember correctly, it was something like “House Executive.” I want to say it was Mrs. Horace Dodge. We love raw milk too but it isn’t available here. We bought delicious raw milk in Kent, WA years ago but even decades ago, big commercial dairies were constantly trying to outlaw them. I’ve never known anyone who canned milk. Being independent and self-sufficient is very satisfying. Sadly, managing a home has become a lost art. IMO, there is nothing more important than raising nice children, and we only get one shot at it.

• Lisa says:

I would be very interested in the homemade spaghetti sauce, Angie. I’m looking forward to your post!

Homemade stuff always tastes better, anyway! πŸ™‚

• viggie says:

My parents didn’t fail me in any way, shape, or form. What an awful thing to say :\

• Angie says:

Viggie, it seems to me that no matter what my thoughts are you are going to try and pick an argument or look for something to say I am trying to be ugly. No one is speaking of you specifically. This is my observation of what I am seeing around me all the time.

My point of view is based on the women I interact with and how I see them with their children – especially the girls. The numbers of just the girls who can’t cook an egg, repair a zipper or even clean a toilet is shameful. Yes, they have been failed. The parents failed to teach them and as they got older many failed to even try to learn on their own. There are home arts and sciences that everyone should learn as they grow up. When people left the farms for the city and chose not to teach their children basic skills in a way they did begin the failure of the current generation who can’t do many basic skills that once were developed in the home – cooking and sewing to name a few home economics skills.

If civilization as we know it should come to a grinding halt the sheer numbers of hundreds of thousands of people who could not provide for themselves and their children is extraordinary. There are so many who have no clue about planting a seed and even more who can’t prepare foods without a box or microwave and for the most part they could care less about it right now.

I once felt I was second class to those who graduated college with a master’s degree and went to work in jobs that drew a nice fat paycheck. About 8 years ago the tables turned and I began to realize my entire childhood and teen age years was the best practical education anyone could ask for and my skill set supercedes many college graduates.

Those are the people in a time of need who would expect others to help them but they haven’t even bothered to help themselves. They have been failed.

• renn says:

Angie, is it possible to can buttermilk? I use it in baking (zucchini chocolate cake is a favorite), but the smallest container is too small, and the next size up is way too much. I would have to make 6-7 cakes to use it all.

If you can’t can buttermilk, can you help come up with more than the 2 recipes I have on hand to use it up?

The other recipe, by the way, is for fried chicken.

I love that this site is available for those of us who want to know more about canning, gardening and farming. Thank you for being willing to share your knowledge!

• Miz S says:

And she canneth milk in her kitchen! And she bloggeth on the internet! And she putteth me to shame with her abundant energy!

Hee hee jk-ing.

• Angie says:

I am tired today. My Momma is here and my neice and nephew from Colorado are here. They have worn me out!

• Miz S says:

She resteth on the 28th day of June! (Actually, I’m sure you are NOT resting. Hard to kick back with company around. Me, I’m a big fan of The Nap.)

• Angie says:

No rest today. Ear piercing and Toy Story 3 and the mall and a couple other places. Pity me.

• Hope says:

I admit I would be the first one voted off Survivor. I hated home ec with the heat of a 1000 suns. In my mind taking care of a home was the furthest thing from a goal. It never dawned on my pea brain to learn these skills for my own benefit. Regardless if I ever had a family.

Growing up poor I associated homemade dresses to being ashamed of not being able to buy one in a store. We ate vegetables from cans. We lived in a city and the only time I saw a farm was on a field trip. My world was shaped entirely different from yours, but now can I appreciate them both.

• joan says:

The only thing that I learned in home-ec was how to make chocolate pudding and knit a hat with a pom-pom, which was a waste of time. The only thing I’ve retained from a required high school class was how to make hospital corners on a bed! (Heloise–the original–taught me gobs of stuff in her book.) The local library has always been a friend in my family. Mom taught me basic crocheting but everything else I learned from books. I helped in the kitchen when I was about 10 on, just basic. Parents raised on the farm knew a lot of things, and having a large family meant work for everyone.

• Sneaux says:

I love Proverbs 31. I have it hanging on my fridge as a daily reminder. πŸ™‚ Thanks for such a fabulous post.

• My Uncle Tobys Honey Lemonade Recipe: 1/2 gallon warm water, 1/2 cup honey, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice. Just mix it all with your hands (their warmth will disolve the honey and sugar) and pour mixture into a gallon container filled 3/4 with ice. Try some exotic styles of honey for a little extra spice.

• flashpointfarm says:

Angie, I know you have goats. Have you ever tried to dehydrate milk?

• Debbie says:

Hi Angie, I’m curious about the milk after you canned it. It appears to be separated. Is this the half and half that you canned or milk? Can all types of milk be canned like 2% milkfat milk? I am enjoying your site. I will be a regular visitor when canning season comes around again next year.

• Angie says:

My milk is raw milk complete with cream. You are seeing the cream rise to the top.

• Lena says:

Angie….in all the cookbooks and processing books that I’ve gone through, I have not seen a recipe to follow on the canning of Milk/Cream based clam chowder.

If Soup companies can do it without the milk/cream separating is there a way for us “regular folk” to do it safely?

I make a huge batch of New England Clam Chowder and sometimes there is lots left over or lots of times there’s nothing left over. My question was whether I would be able to put the left-over chowder into jars so it could be heated up at a later time or would the milk/cream separate. This would be for the leftovers.

Found your page and learning a lot thank you.

• Angie says:

It is not recommended because you can’t reach the same temps at home that commercial companies can in a flash and then cool down. Everything I have ever read says to can the soup without the milk.

• Staci says:

Thank you for sharing! I always use canned milk in my coffee. (store bought) and actually prefer it over fake creamers. I think home canned milk would probably give it the same flavor. And in fact, the blog post I just made today, I put in a video from you tube. She uses less processing time and said it is good over cereal. I’m guessing it would also be good in coffee.

• Staci says:

Oh Angie, I was curious if I was reading your comment above correctly. Did you say that you make home canned cream soups WITH the milk in it? Or that you use the canned milk to make cream soups? Also, if you’re making the cream soups with the milk, does it have to be thickened afterward? Or you know what? Can you share a recipe for a home canned cream soup?

• Berry says:

I enjoy canning and dehydration. We have a canner we use a LOT that belonged to my mother-in-law. We just bought a dehydrator and love it. Food preparation and preservation is a daily part of our lives. I have fell in love with your website.

I noticed you mentioned raw milk for canning, and also have pics of half/half. Does it have to be raw milk or can we use regular pasteurized milk? I am a little confused there, but can’t wait to give this a try.

• Anonymous says:

milk is low-acid food, so you’re risking botulism (death)
    There are no established safe procedures to recommend for canning milk at home
    Don’t take my word for it, ask an expert
    Elizabeth L. Andress, Ph.D.
    Project Director, National Center for HFP
    Professor and Extension Food Safety Specialist
    Department of Foods and Nutrition
    The University of Georgia
    208 Hoke Smith Annex
    Athens, GA 30602-4356
    Phone: (706) 542-3773
    FAX: (706) 542-1979

• Brent says:

Balogna… There is no way to record the temperatures inside the bottles at home which is what the dairy laws state. Anything that is canned at the store can be canned at home. but you have to do it right.
    [quote]
    While pasteurization conditions effectively eliminate potential pathogenic microorganisms, it is not sufficient to inactivate the thermoresistant spores in milk. The term sterilization refers to the complete elimination of all microorganisms. The food industry uses the more realistic term “commercial sterilization”; a product is not necessarily free of all microorganisms, but those that survive the sterilization process are unlikely to grow during storage and cause product spoilage.

In canning we need to ensure the “cold spot” has reached the desired temperature for the desired time. With most canned products, there is a low rate of heat penetration to the thermal centre. This leads to over-processing of some portions, and damage to nutritional and sensory characteristics, especially near the walls of the container. This implies long processing times at lower temperatures.[/quote]

The lady was talking about processing the milk until it had a Carmel taste. So its likely she is over processing to a safe condition.

There are processes in the world which bag raw milk in plastic bags and then pasteurize the milk inside the bags by batch heating them in a water bath. This should be safe because you are pasteurizing the outside and the inside contents of the container. But there is no way to record the temperature inside the bag so its hard to regulate a dairy that would use this system.

Personally I would buy canned milk on sale if I wanted it. Its cheap. I would process and can soups containing milk as if they had meat in them. I would also learn how to make cheese because this is the traditional way to store milk for long periods of time.
    Incidentally in Russia they have a traditional drinkable yogurt product called Ryzenka which is made with as light Carmel taste in the milk.

• Cordia Fecto says:

Spot on with this write-up, I actually assume this web site needs much more consideration. IÒ€ℒll most likely be again to read rather more, thanks for that info.

• I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already πŸ˜‰ Cheers! Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me. I was recommended this website by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble. You are wonderful! Thanks!

• Paul Fortier says:

You’ve probably already said it somewhere in here, but I’m a slow learner. πŸ™‚ Can I buy milk out of the fridge at the store, regular gallons of milk we’re all familiar with, and can it? As of this moment, I’m not sure about the availablity of raw milk in my area, and I’m just wondering. Thanks. And keep up the good work!

• la martina al por mayor says:

Absolutely right. Going green is the future in every sense. Because if we don’t go green, then there might not be a future at all.

• Elden Weiden says:

I’m looking forward to reading about the rockabilly girl!

• Yikes! says:

Whoa! Please keep in mind that home canning is NOT a safe preservation method for milk, raw or otherwise. The comparison to store-purchased canned milk is fallacious, since industrial canning equipment can reach MUCH higher temperatures than home canning equipment, and commercially canned milk also employs preservatives which are not used in the home. PLEASE do not risk botulism or other food poisoning by canning milk or other dairy items at home. PLEASE! I’d hate to see anyone get sick by doing this, including the author of the blog! πŸ™

• Angie says:

Don’t trust everything the gov’t tells you. When you have less power over what you do they have control of you. There are no reported cases of people being sick from properly prepared home foods. Commercially produced milk is what makes people sick.

• Hi, I think your website could be having browser compatibility issues. After I have a look at your weblog in Opera, it appears high-quality however when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wished to present you a fast heads up! Different then that, incredible weblog!

• Hammy says:

Thank you for this post. I have never seen the problem with canning, say potato soup, with a small amount of milk, but everyone kept saying no, no, no , no.. you cant do that… My grandmother used to can all the time and I dont remember her not canning a cream of celery soup before. So today, after reading your post, I made potato soup for supper and have enough leftover to can 4 pints… I’ll take care of that tomorrow. If it smells funny or looks funny after keeping for 3 or so months (as that is my canned goods usual shelf life before we eat it) then it’s not a huge waste and I’ll know better, but I think all will be well. Thank you!